Monday, September 7, 2009

Hello, Goodbye


Hello, Goodbye
From Son to Father
By Kurt Hardy

Hello, hello. Whenever I said hello, you said goodbye
Goodbye, goodbye. For God’s sake will you ever tell me why?

When I was just a little boy and wanted you to play,
You promised me you would tomorrow or on some another day.

For reasons only you would know, that time never came around.
When I needed you the very most, you were never to be found.

You were busy building your career, you never had any time for family.
When you did, it was with your friends, there was never time for me.

Hello, hello. Whenever I said hello, you said goodbye
Goodbye, goodbye. For God’s sake will you ever tell me why?

Then one day you told me… how proud you’d be, it seemed,
If I could make varsity on the high school football team.

Everyday I practiced hard, until I made first place,
For I longed for your acceptance and a smile upon your face.

I won in every sports event, with medals and a trophy or two,
But all I ever wanted dad, was to spend some time with you.

Hello, hello. Whenever I said hello, you said goodbye
Goodbye, goodbye. For God’s sake will you ever tell me why?

Now I’m all grown up, dad, with a family of my own.
Worked hard throughout the years, and bought a pretty home

Often I’ve asked you to come and stay, that is... if you had the time
You never answered my letters or calls, ‘cause I was never on your mine

My boy’s are grown and I’ve retired, I'd come to visit you now and then,
You never did say ‘hello to me’, but goodbye… come back again.

Hello, hello. Whenever I said hello, you said goodbye
Goodbye, goodbye. For God’s sake, will you ever tell me why?

I got a card in the mail, it was just the other day,
A lawyer wrote and said to me, my dad had passed away.

I looked through my father’s personal things, hoping that I might see
A letter that said, ‘I love you son’, that would mean so much to me.

All I ever hoped for, dad, was for you to be my friend.
Through all the years, I shed my tears, now your life has come to an end.

Hello, hello. Whenever I said hello, you said goodbye.
Now I must say, Goodbye, goodbye,
My pain has passed away, I'll no longer need to cry.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment